The Christchurch Botanic Gardens, located in the central city of Christchurch, New Zealand, were founded in 1863 when an English oak was planted to commemorate the solemnisation of the marriage of Prince Albert and Princess Alexandra of Denmark.
The impressive Botanic Gardens Visitor Centre, which opened in April 2014, has a café, gift shop and an interactive permanent exhibition featuring the history of plants and gardening in Canterbury, New Zealand.
The Herb Garden, located by the Curator’s House, (opened in 1986) has several plants of culinary and medicinal value.
The Central Rose Garden has more than 250 varieties of modern cultivar roses.
The Heritage Rose Garden has a selection of rambling heritage roses that delight in the summer months.