Panowa is known as Chittagong Division The seaside town Cox’s Bazar is located in Chittagong Division. it has the longest 125 kilometers natural and sandy sea-beach in Bangladesh . ‘Panowa’ literally means ‘yellow flower’. Cox’s Bazar is the district headquarter.
The modern Cox’s Bazar derives its name from Captain Hiram Cox he died in 1799, an officer of the British East India Company. Cox was appointed Superintendent of Palongkee outpost after Warren Hastings became Governor of Bengal. Captain Cox was specially mobilised to deal with a century-long conflict between Arakan refugees and local Rakhains. He embarked upon the task of rehabilitating refugees in the area and made significant progress. Captain Cox died in 1799 before he could finish his work. To commemorate his role in rehabilitation work, a market was established and named Cox’s Bazar (“Cox’s Market”) after him.